At the beginning of each year, I like to make new year resolutions, well more like wellness resolutions but they don’t normally last beyond February.
This year though, I decided to be different, I wanted to set goals, and actually achieve them so I came up with a plan. A real plan this time with lists, tables and all that, not just a vague idea of what I hoped to achieve. I also knew I wanted to involve as many of my friends and readers as I could when coming up with this new plan, so I knew it had to be realistic. Because as college students and/ or working girls, I know there’s hardly anyway we’d be able to hit the gym more than once a day.
For my wellness plan this year, I’ve put together a list of some quick but effective workout options, and my favorite clean eating meals. You can also download a free printable pdf copy of my 7-day meal plan + shopping list to make things much easier.
let’s get started…..
Like I said before, i’d normally make all these wellness plans, without an actual achievable goal in mind. I’m sure most of us are guilty of the same thing, so how about we change things up this year? The main goal behind this plan is to make this a lifestyle, taking it a week at a time and measuring our progress as we go along. To do that, we need to refine our eating habits. The second goal(and this may require some self discipline) is to push ourselves, to set a workout routine that would help us get fit.
So we’ve set our goal, now for the guidelines
- Enlist a partner: It’s a lot easier not to mention more fun when you have a friend to support you. So don’t forget to share this post to your bestie, sister or mum and ask them to join you.
- Drink lots of water, aim for at least 8-10 glasses a day
- Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, don’t skip any one! you’ll need food to fuel your workouts.
- Avoid processed food altogether
- Don’t eat 2-3 hours before bed
- Try to exercise at least once a day
I’ve found that the best thing you can do, is to sit down and plan your meals at the start of the week. It may seem like a lot of work, but it really just makes everything a lot easier. The aim here is to leave as little room as possible for anything unhealthy.
Below are a few of my favorite healthy meal options they’re all easy to make and really delicious. You can get the full meal plan in the pdf, each recipe typically makes for 2-4 servings so you’ll most likely have leftovers, cutting your cooking time in half. I’ve designed the meal plan for mon-sun but hit the grocery store before sunday to be prepared. You’ll find a list of what to buy in the pdf, simply submit your email address and I’ll e-mail it to you.
- Greek yogurt topped with walnuts, a handful of berries (or sliced banana) and a light drizzle of agave nectar or honey
- Veggie omelet with a slice of whole grain toast
- Breakfast smoothie
Lunch and dinner options:
- Healthy Chicken Salad served over lettuce
- Grilled tilapia with a small side salad
- Clean eating chilli
Alright so now that we have all our meals planned, let’s get down to business but first things first, what areas do you want to focus on the most? Do you want to have a stronger core, increase your cardio, or just an all around toning? Identify which muscle groups you want to focus on so you can really build a kick-ass routine. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t have access to the gym, there are so many great and free alternatives and I’ve listed down a few that should cover all the bases.
- 30 minutes of cardio (running, kickboxing, elliptical, swimming, step aerobics etc.)
- 1 hour of yoga or Pilates
- Intervals: run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds (repeat 8 times)
- Circuit: 100 jumping jacks, 20 crunches, 20 squats, 10 push ups, 25 bench dips (you can do this using a chair), 60 second wall sit, 60 second plank (repeat two times)
- 1 hour hike with steady incline
- For a quick workout:: 15 minute jog, 20 squats, 20 sit-ups
- For a really quick workout: 20 lunges, 50 jumping jacks or jump rope for 2 minutes
And there you have it guys, if you consistently follow a clean diet, and exercise daily, you’ll definitely be on your way to a healthier happier you. My intention for this wellness plan, is to create healthy lifelong habits. I plan on starting this week.
Will you be joining me on my wellness plan?
I hope you will, let me know in the comments.